HIGH LEVEL CHAMPIONS FINANCE TEAM GFANZ Secretariat Support Manager – Climate Champions
A great opportunity to work on what is arguably one of the most critical aspects of climate action: ensuring sufficient financial flows to support systems transformation towards a net zero, resilient future. Working within the finance
team of the high level Climate Champions Team, the successful candidate will engage with partners across the finance sector, governments, industry leaders and not-for-profit agencies.
It is a full time contract position for 12 months, with potential for extension. The location is flexible and the day rate is depending on experience and the cost base in the geographic location of the post holder.
To prepare for COP26 we need the strategic coordinator in post as soon as possible.
We therefore welcome applications from candidates who are able to start immediately. The post is open to independent contractors and job seekers, as well as employees who can secure a 1-year secondment agreement with their employer.
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with virtual interviews starting 26 July.
ABOUT CLIMATE CHAMPIONS
As the two serving High Level Climate Action Champions, Gonzalo Munoz and Nigel Topping are responsible for mobilising stronger and more ambitious climate action amongst non-state actors. We have a mandate both from the UK and Chilean Presidencies (as part of COP25 and COP26) and the UNFCCC through the Marrakesh Partnership. COP26 is a key moment for the Paris Agreement. To deliver on our ambition, we have established a team of 100 global experts (65 FTE). The Climate Champions focus on delivering six key objectives:
● Deliver a 10x increase in net-zero commitments from non-state actors and strengthen resilience for people and communities most vulnerable to climate change
● Deliver breakthrough momentum for industrial systems transformation in 10 sectors
● Support diplomatic efforts through non-state actor channels
● Enhance engagement and agency across NSA groups
● Win the narrative battle on action and progress, and
● Refresh the Marrakech Partnership to drive a decade of climate action
Thematic workstreams are set up to focus on systems transformation in core sectors where concerted action can make the greatest impact on climate change. Alongside this, we are working on a series of cross-cutting special programmes, stakeholder engagement and strategic communication campaigns.
THE HLC FINANCE TEAM AND GFANZ
The HLC Finance team is composed of 8 partially-seconded staff. It is co-led by Sagarika Chatterjee (from UNPRI) and Sue Reid (with Global Optimism). The principal areas of focus are:
● driving ambition and alignment of all segments of the financial sector with net zero emissions by the 2040s, including via net zero alliances for asset owners, asset managers, commercial banks, insurers and others;
● catalysing deployment of finance needed to propel sectoral decarbonization at requisite pace and scale;
● scaling finance for resilience, with a particular focus on urban resilience; and
● scaling finance in developing countries and emerging markets.
In order to drive congruence and ambition across the global financial sector, we have partnered with Mark Carney’s Private Finance Hub and the COP26 Presidency to form the Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero (GFANZ). The Alliance will bring together the Race to Zero finance sector alliances and initiatives with other key stakeholders across the global financial ecosystem. These initiatives provide a strong foundation for the deeper and more expansive work that remains to be done in the run-up to COP26 and beyond. Among other things, GFANZ will bring together and promote congruence and ambition across financial sector Race to Zero alliances, including by:
● sending clearer shared signals to policymakers, companies/sectors and finance sector peers regarding the level of ambition and pace of action needed to align with net zero/1.5C; and
● promoting harmonisation of metrics and methodologies used to align portfolios with net zero/1.5C and track progress.
For more information, please see here for the GFANZ launch press release, and Race
to Zero GFANZ website.
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
This is a senior role within the Finance Team, working closely with partners across the finance sector, governments, industry leaders and not-for-profit agencies to accelerate adoption and impact of the Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero. This is a new and crucial function, with the opportunity to make a tangible difference in the run up to
COP26 and beyond, ensuring financial viability of systems transformation towards a net zero, resilient future.
It is a new and evolving programme of work in support of the newly established CEO-led GFANZ workstreams, and the shape of the role will develop and change, in collaboration with leaders and peers within the Climate Champions Team and in the wider ecosystem.
KEY TASKS OF THE ROLE INCLUDE:
● Support the establishment of high-functioning GFANZ secretariat and coordination groups with clear processes, priorities and ways of working
● Drive execution of GFANZ substantive priorities, including development and execution of work plans for CEO-led task forces and steering committee working groups
● Conduct significant coordination and facilitation of engagement with and among leading global net zero alliances, including drafting and contributing to plans and outputs, and increasing collaboration and alignment
● Co-create new GFANZ alliances, support recruitment of new joiners, and development of associated communications to maximize impact, as needed.
● Support GFANZ team in preparation for periodic Principals Group, Steering Committee and Advisory board meetings, including preparation of agendas, papers, work products, and meeting logistics
● Maintain close partnership working with colleagues in Mark Carney’s Private Finance Hub to ensure smooth and impactful functioning of GFANZ secretariat
The successful candidate will have 10+ years of experience, ideally gained in a programme-based environment. You will be a highly motivated self-starter, happy working across different time zones in a fast-paced environment. You are able to exercise sound judgment with regard to engaging the finance sector and climate action community. The following requirements are essential:
● Exceptional programme development and leadership skills
● Good understanding of financial markets and dynamics within it
● Proven track record of engaging effectively with senior level/C-suite public and
private sector leaders
● Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
● Excellent process and project management skills, with ability to juggle multiple priorities and deadlines
● Excellent communications skills, verbal and written
● Collaborative and collegial working style, and a strong team player, with strong interpersonal skills and diplomacy
● Ability to manage ambiguity and change
● Good understanding of systems transformation and change
● Determination to support climate action, and
● A commitment to our core values (below)
CLIMATE CHAMPIONS CORE VALUES
1. Unite behind the science: we commit to make the changes scientists tell us are needed.
2. Build upon the incredible work to date: we will cross-fertilize and amplify the work of the many heroes who have already committed so much to addressing climate change.
3. Take into account different ideas and perspectives: we’re willing to be challenged and to challenge, we look for the best in people and the best, most sound and most credible ideas, wherever they come from.
4. Practice stubborn optimism: we recognize the scale of the problem, combined with an absolute determination to build our way out.
5. Seek progress not perfection: all of us can be criticized and many of those best able to advance this issue are currently the biggest causes of it. We can’t allow cynical greenwashing, but all who are serious about tackling climate change positively will be welcomed.
6. Be humble and generous: we keep our egos in check and work together for the good of the whole