HIGH LEVEL CHAMPIONS FINANCE TEAM Emerging Markets & Developing Country Finance Mobilization Project Manager – CLIMATE CHAMPIONS
A great opportunity to work on one of the most critical aspects of climate action: mobilizing financial flows to climate solutions in emerging markets and developing countries to support the transformation towards a net zero emissions, resilient future. Working within the finance team of the high level Climate Champions Team, the successful candidate will be a mid- or senior level private finance expert with experience in emerging markets or developing countries ready to lead the implementation of this important workstream, working with partners across the finance sector, governments, industry leaders and not-for-profit agencies.
It is a full time contract position from now through December 2021, with potential for extension.
To prepare for COP26 we are looking for candidates who are able to start immediately. The post is open to independent contractors and job seekers, as well as employees who can secure at least a 6 month secondment agreement with their employer.
The location is flexible and, for independent contractors, the day rate is £250 – £350 depending on experience and the cost base in the geographic location of the post holder. We encourage applications from staff based in the Global South.
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with virtual interviews starting 26 July.
ABOUT CLIMATE CHAMPIONS
As the two serving High Level Climate Action Champions, Gonzalo Munoz and Nigel Topping are responsible for mobilising stronger and more ambitious climate action amongst non-state actors. We have a mandate both from the UK and Chilean Presidencies (as part of COP25 and COP26) and the UNFCCC through the Marrakesh Partnership. COP26 is a key moment for the Paris Agreement. To deliver on our ambition, we have established a team of 100 global experts (65 FTE). The Climate Champions focus on delivering six key objectives:
● Deliver a 10x increase in net-zero commitments from non-state actors and strengthen resilience for people and communities most vulnerable to climate change
● Deliver breakthrough momentum for industrial systems transformation in 10 sectors
● Support diplomatic efforts through non-state actor channels
● Enhance engagement and agency across NSA groups
● Win the narrative battle on action and progress, and
● Refresh the Marrakech Partnership to drive a decade of climate action
Thematic workstreams are set up to focus on systems transformation in core sectors where concerted action can make the greatest impact on climate change. Alongside this, we are working on a series of cross-cutting special programmes, stakeholder engagement and strategic communication campaigns.
THE HLC FINANCE TEAM
The HLC Finance team is composed of 8 partially-seconded staff. It is co-led by Sagarika Chatterjee (from UNPRI) and Sue Reid (with Global Optimism). The principal areas of focus are:
● driving ambition and alignment of all segments of the financial sector with net zero emissions by the 2040s, including via net zero alliances for asset owners, asset managers, commercial banks, insurers and others;
● catalysing deployment of finance needed to propel sectoral decarbonization at requisite pace and scale;
● scaling finance for resilience, with a particular focus on urban resilience; and
● scaling finance in developing countries and emerging markets.
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
Scaling finance for climate solutions (both mitigation and adaptation, including sector-specific finance) in developing countries and emerging markets is critical to solving the global climate crisis and is a top priority for the High Level Champions. The High Level Champions seek a full time staff member to drive the implementation and
delivery of the strategy and plans for this crucial workstream within our finance team. This role will work closely with partners across the finance sector, governments, industry leaders and not-for-profit agencies, and requires a professional with experience in the finance sector and emerging markets and/or developing countries. Specific areas of focus include mobilizing climate finance in Small Islands Developing States, scaling investment in protecting forests and other nature-based solutions in key basins such as the Amazon and Central African Basins, and increasing investment in renewable energy in countries across the African continent, among others.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE INCLUDE:
1. Lead implementation of workstream to catalyze financial flows to climate solutions in emerging markets and developing countries
2. Conduct significant partner and stakeholder engagement to engage with, and facilitate collaboration among, existing initiatives, Non-State Actor (NSA) partners, High Level Champions (HLC) sector leads, and relevant country partners, including the UK COP26 Presidency team and leading actors in emerging markets and developing countries
3. Build support among public and private sector finance actors to increase financial
4. Shape and support the development of deliverables for COP26, including associated events and communications content
5. Coordinate w/ HLC Finance Team to maximize synergies between emerging markets work and work on financing sector transition, resilience, nature-based solutions, other COP26 objectives, etc.
6. Coordinate closely with Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero (GFANZ) Secretariat to integrate HLC emerging markets finance mobilization work into the relevant GFANZ work streams – including via amplification of key emerging market finance mobilization initiatives to GFANZ membership.
The successful candidate will have 10+ years of experience, ideally gained in a programme-based environment. You will be a highly motivated self-starter, happy working across different time zones in a fast-paced environment. You are able to exercise sound judgment with regard to engaging the finance sector and emerging market / developing country stakeholders. The following requirements are essential:
● Exceptional programme development and leadership skills
● Good understanding of financial markets and dynamics within it
● Experience working in the area of climate-related finance/investment in emerging
markets and developing countries
● Proven track record of engaging effectively with senior level/C-suite public and
private sector leaders
● Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
● Excellent process and project management skills, with ability to juggle multiple
priorities and deadlines
● Excellent communications skills, verbal and written
● Collaborative and collegial working style, and a strong team player
● Ability to manage ambiguity and change
● Good understanding of systems transformation and change
● Determination to support climate action, and
● A commitment to our core values (below)
CLIMATE CHAMPIONS CORE VALUES
● Unite behind the science: we commit to make the changes scientists tell us are needed.
● Build upon the incredible work to date: we will cross-fertilize and amplify the work of the many heroes who have already committed so much to addressing climate change.
● Take into account different ideas and perspectives: we’re willing to be challenged and to challenge, we look for the best in people and the best, most sound and most credible ideas, wherever they come from.
● Practice stubborn optimism: we recognize the scale of the problem, combined with an absolute determination to build our way out.
● Seek progress not perfection: all of us can be criticized and many of those best able to advance this issue are currently the biggest causes of it. We can’t allow cynical greenwashing, but all who are serious about tackling climate change positively will be welcomed.
● Be humble and generous: we keep our egos in check and work together for the good of the whole