Head of Sustainable Investment – Business Planning, Measurement and Innovation – C40
C40 is a network of nearly 100 mayors of the world’s leading cities, who are working to deliver the urgent action needed right now to confront the climate crisis, and create a future where everyone, everywhere can thrive. Mayors of C40 cities are committed to using a science-based and people-focused approach to help the world limit global heating to 1.5°C and build healthy, equitable and resilient communities. Through a Global Green New Deal, mayors are working alongside a broad coalition of representatives from labour, business, the youth climate movement and civil society to go further and faster than ever before.
C40’s team of 200+ staff is headquartered in London, with offices in New York, Joburg, Singapore, Delhi, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in Los Angeles.
The strategic direction of the organisation is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. A nine-person management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and Realdania.
C40 is committed to supporting and promoting equity and diversity and creating an inclusive working environment for everyone. We believe that when people with different life experiences are involved in decision-making, we deliver better.
We believe having a diverse workforce ensures we connect better with all the different communities and people affected by the climate crisis. This enables us to make better decisions which lead to better outcomes in the work we do through increased creativity, productivity, greater global impact alongside a broader perspective and approach to our work.
We welcome applicants that are diverse in terms of age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity and perspective. Our goal is for C40 to be an environment where everyone, from any background, can flourish and can be themselves whilst contributing to our mission. If you identify as a person with a disability, we work to provide reasonable appropriate measures and any additional support needed to provide an equitable working experience. If you are living with a disability, chronic illness or neurodiversity please inform us, to provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.
C40 promotes a work culture where staff can input to improve equity, diversity and inclusion through staff-led groups and formal forums. We know that creating our ideal working environment is a learning process and we are committed to the ongoing effort.
C40 Divest/Invest Forum
C40 Cities, in partnership with London and New York City, convenes the Divest/Invest Forum to help urban leaders divest from fossil fuels and accelerate green investment. The Forum supports cities in learning from each other and share their experiences. It provides a space to allow cities to explore what Divest/Invest means in practice, what options they can consider, discuss approaches to overcoming associated challenges, and explore ways cities can work together with their pension funds.
17 cities including some of world’s financial capitals have signed C40’s Divesting from Fossil Fuels, Investing in a Sustainable Future Declaration, which commits cities to divesting financial assets from fossil fuel companies and championing investments in the green economy whenever possible.
The Forum is kindly supported by Wallace Global Fund and the Climate Change Collaboration – an initiative of Ashden Trust, Mark Leonard Trust, and JJ Charitable Trust – and Rockefeller Brothers Fund.
Head of Sustainable Investment
C40 seeks a dynamic, motivated, self-starter to lead the Strategic evolution of C40’s Divest/Invest Forum. The Head of Sustainable Investment will be responsible for envisioning, planning and implementing the integration of Divest/Invest into C40’s great finance work and developing new guidance and technical assistance to support cities design and implement novel financial mechanisms to increase investment in climate solutions working closely with cities in the Forum to meet city expectations and requirements.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Lead C40’s development and execution of C40’s sustainable investment strategy, focusing on institutional investing developing technical assistance and support cities signed onto the invest/divest declaration.
- Support the advocacy of co-lead cities, presenting cities as global champions of divestment and investment in all sectors and levels of governance. Work with forum cities to develop strategies to expand and integrate divest/invest in all city finance activities, including budgeting, procurement, pension funds, asset management and investments.
- Engage wider cities to understand the importance of divestment and investment and how to address the challenges and move forward to decarbonise their portfolios in line with their 1.5 degree target, adaptation goals and socio-economic priorities.
- Oversee the development and delivery of a programme of activities of city-city interactions: workshops, webinars and external events and partnerships that helps to advance the divest/invest movement.
- Working closely with C40’s City Finance Director to help cities divest and invest to achieve their 1.5 degree targets through the decarbonisation of their investment portfolio and developing new sustainable investment opportunities in cities.
- Work with C40 Communications Director to extend the divestment actions and develop the narrative and campaign for sustainable investment opportunities in cities.
- Manage staff to ensure the ongoing success of the Divest/Invest Forum, convening global cities to share learning and expertise.
- Oversee the development of content, event planning, facilitation and delivery, the creation of communications deliverables to disseminate key successes and best practices to a broader audience.
- Engage strategic partners who can help deliver support and provide valuable resources to help cities in this area.
- Oversee and manage specialised research focused on specific divestment and investment topics.
- Regular liaison with the programme funders and lead cities to ensure C40’s funder deliverables are met, and the project adds value for cities.
- Coordination of governance and reporting, including writing and preparing progress reports and annual reports.
- Passionate about the mission of C40 and with a strong interest in divestment from fossil fuels and investment in climate solutions;
- Experience working with cities, insurance companies, pension funds, infrastructure investors, and/or relevant NGOs on sustainable investing, with a strong understanding challenges and approaches of aligning low carbon portfolios;
- Proven track record in working collaboratively and effectively with partners, such as city governments, financial institutions, NGOs, international organisations and the private sector on complex finance solutions;
- Highly developed management experience and ability to manage multiple parallel tasks and strong problem-solving, strategic thinking and analytical capabilities;
- Outstanding interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills, as well as experience in developing and facilitating webinars and workshops, writing reports and delivering high level presentations;
- International experience, working across different cultures, languages and time zones.
- Educated to at least Bachelor’s degree level, with preference for candidates holding a master’s degree in subjects such as finance, business, public administration, environmental policy, sustainability policy, or a related field.
Applicants have the right to work in the UK. Some international travel may be required.
Closing date for applications is Tuesday 14 December.
Role is fixed term for 2.5 years.
C40 is an equal opportunities employer.